What is Steam Boiler Inspection?
A Steam Boiler or Steam Generator is a closed vessel in which water is heated, vaporized, and converted into steam at higher than atmospheric pressure. A steam boiler means any closed vessel exceeding 22.75 liters in capacity and is used expressively to generate steam under pressure.
It is used extensively in
- Locomotive and Marines.
- Power Plant.
- Food Processing Unit.
- Textile Industry.
- Chemical Industry.
- Medical Industry.
The main reason to use steam in these industries are
- Hold 5-6 times more Heat Energy than water.
- High Pressure, High Temperature, and High Energy Operation.
- Easy to Control.
- Non-Hazardous, Environmentally Sound, and Hygienic.
- Uses Variety of Fuel.
According to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers – “STEAM BOILER is a combination of apparatus for Producing, Furnishing, or Recovering Heat together with the apparatus for Transferring the Heat so made available to the Fluid Being Heated and Vaporized.”
The history of Boilers is populated with death and destruction. Still, with the advent of written boiler construction codes and automatic controls just over one hundred years ago, the rate of boiler accidents has dropped substantially. However, there are still boiler accidents. Most estimates place the number of boilers incidents involving property damage, injury, or death at approximately 2,000 cases per year.
What are the Types of Boiler?
Boiler Type is determined by the relationship of the water to the fire.
Fire tube Boilers – Fire in the tubes and water around the tubes.
Water tube Boilers – Water in the tubes and fire around the tubes.
Sectional Boilers – Water in the sections and fire around the sections.
Heating Boilers – Provide steam or hot water for building heat.
Process Boilers – (Often called power boilers or industrial boilers) provide steam or high-temperature hot water for manufacturing, power generation, etc.
What are the Essential Requirements of Steam Boiler?
- First, it should produce a Maximum Amount of Steam by consuming Minimum Fuel
- Second, it should produce Desired Steam Rate.
- It should be light in weight, Compact in Size, and Easy to Transport.
- It should readily cater to the fluctuating loads.
- It should be capable of quick starting.
- It should have low installation cost, Low Running Cost and Low Maintenance Cost.
- The Boilers tubes should allow a minimum level of water deposits and should be sufficiently robust against wear and corrosion.
- It should comply with the safety regulation mentioned in Boiler Act.
What are the Operator Responsibilities for Boiler Safety?
- First, maintain the Normal Operating Water Level (NOWL).
- Never add water to a hot boiler when the water level cannot be determined.
- These safety and relief valves are regularly in compliance with state and local codes.
- Follow standard operating procedures (SOP) n=and all instructions (written or verbal) from the chief engineer.
- Maintain proper steam pressure or water temperature.
- Routinely test the low water fuel-cut-offs (LWCO) and feedwater pump controls.
- Routinely blow down the water column, water gauge (sight_ glass, and try cocks.
- Maintain the burner according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Maintain proper fuel oil temperature and gas pressure.
- Record fuel consumption regularly.
- Maintain optimum feed water temperature.
- Record make-up water consumption regularly.
- Monitor and record stack temperature.
- Maintain control of the boiler at all times. Observe the operation of the boiler and auxiliary equipment.
- Maintain the boiler room log. Record All appropriate data and document any unusual conditions.
Preventive Maintenance of Steam Boiler
10 Steps to reliable Boiler Operation
- Know your equipment, consult the boiler and auxiliary equipment manuals, and contact the manufacturer for further information if necessary.
- Regardless of size, every facility needs a standard operating procedure (SOP) manual for the boiler room. It should detail the operation and maintenance procedures of the boiler and other equipment. In addition, the manual must be kept updated as the equipment is repaired or replaced.
- Boiler log sheets are the best method of ensuring that routine procedures are performed as scheduled. A written log should be developed and used consistently by all boiler room employees. Establish a set schedule for performing hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, and annual boiler routines. All preventive maintenance procedures performed must be recorded on the log sheet, with notes of any abnormalities.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of service, repairs, and replacement of all boiler room components such as pumps, motors, belts. This information can be stored on a simple record card or in a computer database.
- Monitor water consumption of the boiler system regularly. A Change in water consumption is often the first indication of problems. All systems have a make-up water meter.
- Monitor fuel consumption as well as water consumption. A Change in fuel consumption can be an indicator of a variety of system problems.
- Ensure that the boiler room has adequate air for combustion and ventilation. Insufficient air leads to incomplete combustion and unburned and wasted fuel—water for signs of negative pressure in the boiler room.
- Properly maintain boiler room electrical systems. Keep electrical equipment clean and dry to prevent nuisance electrical failures.
- General Housekeeping of the boiler room indicates the level of pride and professionalism of the boiler room staff. A dirty, cluttered, disorganized boiler room is a hazard to the safe and proper operation of the boiler. Please keep it clean, neat, and orderly.
- Safety first and always. Follow approved safe work practices in and around the boiler and boiler room. Use OSHA procedures for lock-out tag-out, confined spaces, and personal protective equipment.
Why Trust TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification for Steam Boiler Inspection?
TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification is here to assist in your boiler inspection needs. At the same time, while performing inspections, TUV Austria BIC. Inspectors will examine your equipment and processes related to tasks and risks that arise during these site visits. In addition, the inspector will review your data and recommendations with you to ensure that your high-pressure boilers continue to operate safely and comply with all necessary standards.
Boiler classification can be difficult for the inexperienced inspector. Therefore, we guarantee reliable inspections and reporting, with over 100 years of combined experience.
Adept beliefs in client-focused service, providing a customized boiler compliance solution to your specific equipment and environment.
Adept will work with you to coordinate your inspection while we are in the area to reduce overall costs without shortcuts.
In addition, to Steam Boiler Inspection Service we also offer a range of complimentary services:
- Inspection Services
- Third-Party Inspection Services
- Pre-Shipment Inspection Services
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control Services (QA/QC)
- Lifting Equipment & Crane Inspection Services
- Technical Staffing Services
- Construction Supervision Services
- Technical Manpower Supply Services
- Non-Destructive Testing (NDT/NDE) Services
- Mechanical Testing Services
- Risk-Based Inspection Services
- Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) Certification
- Pressure Vessel Inspection Services
- Storage Tank Inspection Services
- Supplier Expediting Services
- Emission Testing Services
- Plant Safety Services
- Equipment Safety Services
- Vendor Audit Services
- Explosion Protection Services
- Fire Protection Services
- Environment, Health, and Safety Services
- Process improvement solutions
What are the Factors for the Selection of Steam Boiler?
- Power Requirement and Working Pressure.
- Steam Generation Rate.
- Availability of Fuel and Water.
- Availability of Space.
- Portable Load Factor.
- Operating and Maintenance Cost.
- Geographical Position of Power House.
What are the risks associated with boilers?
If there is a malfunction with a boiler due to: improper installation, faulty or incorrect pressure relief parts, unmanaged corrosion, rectification works disregarding specifications, poor quality maintenance, etc., the boiler can become a safety hazard.
Potential boiler risks include projectile, explosion, high-pressure injection injury, asphyxiation, etc.
What is the P.H Value of feed water in the boiler?
The P.H Value of feed water in the boiler is 8.5 to 9.5.
What is the complete form of ESP?
The complete form of ESP is Electrostatics Precipitator.
What is the function of a fusible plug-in boiler?
Safety During Water level low.
Would you mind sending an Enquiry so we can assist you?Send Enquiry