ISO 50001 Standard – Why You Need It?
With the world’s energy resources and reserves being used excessively, ISO (International Organization for Standardization) came forth with the ISO 50001 energy management system which helps organizations to manage their energy resources, reduce their uses, and save on costs.
The ISO 50001 standard acts as a framework or set of guidelines for organizations to implement an effective energy management system (EnMS).
This standard applies to any organization, regardless of their size or type of business, and provides them an opportunity to save energy costs and drive sustainability.
Here are some obvious persuasive reasons why you should embrace the ISO 50001 energy management standard for your business:
- Finds the risk associated with energy supply and manage them
- Measure and evaluate the use of different energy resources in your business, across different process or areas and find ways to optimize the use.
- Implements practices to raise the overall efficiency of your processes and reduce energy consumption and costs.
- Measures areas where carbon emissions are high and adopt practices to reduce them meeting government targets.
- Demonstrates your credibility and environmental sustainability and earns potential tender opportunities in the international markets.
- Continually seeks to improve your energy management practices or EnMS and leaves a positive impact on the environment.
- Strengthens your competitiveness in the industry and prevents any vulnerabilities that occur due to energy price fluctuations or the supply of energy sources.
Implementing the ISO 50001 energy management system not only helps organizations to manage their energy uses and costs but also confers credibility for their effective energy management practices. In other words, there is an additional value placed on an organization that is certified with ISO 50001.
As they can demonstrate the sustainability of their energy resources to their present supplier partners, investors, or customers, it can open up a door for more contracts or opportunities from other local/informational businesses. There is a potential competitive advantage in the market for a company that gets certified with energy management standards.