What is ISO 39001:2012 Road Traffic Safety Management System?
ISO 39001:2012 demonstrates that organizations are committed to public safety by minimizing traffic accidents. Therefore, ISO has published this standard, and it is responsible for road traffic safety.
ISO 39001 standard Combines best practices and knowledge regarding road traffic safety and quality management systems into a single safety management tool. Its certification Provides organizations with the opportunity to reduce, and ultimately eliminate, the incidence and risk of death and serious injury related to road traffic crashes.
- ISO 39001 helps organizations know and control their Road Traffic systems.
- It confirms that the organization has the required tools to reduce/eliminate the risk of death and serious injuries.
- ISO 39001 standard is designed to help your organization to implement the best road safety practice.
- This Standard promotes the use P-D-C-A (Plan, Do Check, Act) cycle process approach.
What is the Vision Behind of ISO 39001?
- The overarching goal is to eliminate death and serious injury in the road transport system.
- A voluntary and complementary tool to legislation, addressing all organizations interacting with road traffic and driven by the needs of interested parties, including market forces.
- An approach to utilize and disseminate “best practice.”
- Knowledge transfer from Traffic safety experts to the intended user community of the standard.
What are the Benefits of ISO 39001?
- Meeting Organizational Social & Safety Targets.
- Ensure Quality and Road Traffic Safety.
- Achieve Objectives regarding road traffic safety.
- Gain a competitive advantage.
- Eliminate or minimize risk to employees on the road.
- Improve employees’ attitude towards road safety.
- Improve compliance with legal requirements.
- Continually Improves RTS performance.
- Show evidence that systematic arrangements are in place to implement the RTS Policy.
- Be recognized as the first company to implement ISO 39001.
Eventually, These Could
- Reduce their costs.
- Reduce insurance premiums.
- Reduce medical bills.
- Reduce compensation.
- Reduce Lost Time.
How is ISO 39001 Relevant to Your Organization?
An organization’s road traffic safety management system will vary depending on the activity it is involved in, such as
- Employees use the road transport system to and from work or on duty.
- Goods and passenger transport by the organization or contracted to another organization.
- Activities generate traffic to and from locations such as supermarkets and schools.
- Service delivery and products for road traffic, such as roads or vehicles.
- More work-related fatalities occur on the road than anywhere else.
What Top Management Requires to Implement ISO 39001?
Top Management must determine leadership and commitment in a variety of ways, including
- Establishing RTS policy and objectives consistent with the strategic direction of the organization.
- Integrating the RTS management system into the organization’s business.
- Adopting the elimination of death and serious injury in road traffic crashes as the long-term objective and setting interim targets.
- Working with interested parties to contribute to a safe road traffic system.
The organization must consider the relevance of the 10 following intermediate safety performance factors.
- Road Design and Safe Speed (especially separation, roadsides, and intersections).
- Use of appropriate roads depending on vehicle type, user, type of cargo, and equipment.
- Use of safe driving peed considering vehicle type, traffic, and weather conditions.
- Use of personal safety equipment (restraints, helmets, lights).
- Driver Fitness (Fatigue, distraction, alcohol & drugs).
- Safe journey planning (need/amount/mode of travel, choice of route).
- Safe vehicles (vulnerable/occupant protection, crash avoidance/mitigation, roadworthiness, load security).
- Appropriate authorization for the class of vehicles.
- Removal of unfit vehicles and drivers/riders.
- Post-crash preparedness, recovery, and rehabilitation.
What are the Challenges in Implementing ISO 39001?
- The system is owned by only a group of people, e.g., the Safety Department / Committee.
- Top Management is not clear on their roles and responsibilities and thus lacks commitment.
- The system is not integrated with the business processes.
- Insufficient ISO 39001 awareness among employers/employees.
- Don’t know where to start/how to go about it.
- Inadequate Knowledge of hazards, risks, legal requirements, and risk control techniques.
- Inadequate resources for managing RTSMS, e.g., Budget, Manpower, Knowledge, etc.
- ISO 39001 is a best practice tool focused on reducing and eliminating major organizational and social safety risks.
- It is relevant for many activities undertaken by many organizations.
- ISO 39001 requires top management to commit to taking a step up in reducing road traffic risk.
- It provides key direction for achieving this in relevant ways for each organization.
In addition, to ISO 39001:2012 audits TUV Austria BIC. also offer a range of complimentary services:
- ISO Certifications
- ISO 9001 – Quality Management System
- ISO 14001 – Environmental Management System
- ISO 45001 – Occupational Health & Safety Management System
- ISO 50001 – Energy Management System
- ISO 27001 – Information Security Management System
- ISO 20000 – IT Service Management System
- ISO 22000 – Food Safety Management System
- FSSC 22000 – Food Safety System Certification
- HACCP – Food Safety Management System
- ISO 21001 – Educational Organizations Management System
- ISO 29990 – Learning Services Management System
- ISO 20121 – Sustainability Event Management System
- ISO 22301 – Business Continuity Management System
- ISO 37001 – Anti-Bribery Management System
- ISO 28000 – Supply Chain Security Management System
- ISO 13485 – Quality Management Systems for Medical Devices
- ISO 31000 – Risk Management – Guidelines
- ISO 22716 – Good Manufacturing Practices for Cosmetics
- ISO 3834 – Quality Requirements for Fusion Welding of Metallic Materials
- Halal Certification
- “Covid-Shield” Certification
- GlobalG.A.P. Certification
- IFS Certification Services
What are the Key Features of ISO 39001?
- The safety factors that need to be considered are based on research evidence and the best expert analysis about what works.
- They allow organizations to look again at what they are doing and identify new areas of focus for managing critical safety risks.
Why is ISO 39001 important?
It is important because
- It allows you to implement road traffic safety (RTS) management systems that are less costly and more qualitative.
- It helps to reduce serious injuries and deaths related to road traffic crashes.
- This standard enables you to help organizations reach the desired objectives regarding road traffic safety (RTS).
- It helps you to enhance customer satisfaction.
Who can Avail of ISO 39001 standard?
Any Organization – Large or Small, Profit or Non-Profit, Private or Public.
What are the Focus Points for implementing ISO 39001?
- Setting up a system for Documentation and Records.
- Risk assessment and Management.
- Adapt to the requirements of the ISO 39001 standard to your business,
- Business Performance and Sustainability.
- Cultural Improvement concerning Road Traffic Management.
What are the Implementation Phases of this Standard?
- Initial Visits & Review of the Existing System.
- Gap Analysis & Documentation.
- Training and Support for System Implementation.
- Internal Audit for Verification of Implemented System.
- Certification Audit.
- Rewarding Certificate to the Organization.
Would you mind sending an Enquiry so we can assist you in getting certified?