Checklist to Ensure Conformity – ISO 14001 Standard
The globally known ISO 14001 Certification is for Environmental Management System (EMS). Achieving it helps organizations set standard practices and measures for handling their environmental concerns.
The framework of the EMS under ISO 14001 provides organizations with a definite approach to managing their impacts, promoting environmental policies and objectives, involving stakeholders’ participation, and continually improving their environmental performance.
We have provided a simple checklist to help you achieve the environmental certification. Tickling off each fact can help your organization conform to the standard.
Checklist to Ensure Conformity of Your EMS with ISO 14001
These are the top requirements your organization should meet to achieve conformance with the ISO 14001 standard and get certified.
- Document the environmental procedure in detail.
- Setting up a definite environmental policy and communicating it to everyone in the business.
- Checking or periodic auditing of business processes to ensure environmental impacts are eventually reduced.
- Recording all the environmental aspects and impacts, from mild to severe ones.
- Setting up targets or objectives of environmental management after analyzing the impacts.
- Performing management reviews of the implemented environmental procedures to ensure their effectiveness in delivering the targets.
- Gathering Customers/Stakeholders’ complaints about environmental issues and deciding actions to resolve them.
- Implement a register from compliance where all relevant environmental legislation and obligations of your organization must be noted.
- Providing necessary training to employees about the document environmental management procedures and reviewing their performance.
- Performing audits by external agencies to ensure compliance with ISO 14001 requirements and implement corrective actions for non-conformity.
Many organizations face challenges while implementing the EMS and achieving the ISO 14001 certification. The certification is instituted as a part of your management strategy, which encompasses all business areas and helps to check the environmental impacts.
As a result, meeting the compliance of the EMS with all requirements of the ISO 14001 might leave you confused. Therefore, you need to follow this checklist of 10 steps to prevent any failure in your EMS and assure conformity to the ISO 14001 standard.