What is Plant Safety?
All workers should wear the required safety gear while on the premises. The equipment must also be kept clean and maintained. They are wearing loose clothing or jewelry while on the job should be avoided. In addition, people with long hair must keep it tied back when working with moving machinery.
Maintenance of facilities and equipment in good working conditions is essential to achieve a specified level of quality, reliability, and efficiency. It helps maintain and increase the operational efficiency of plant facilities and contributes to revenue by reducing operating of production.
What are the types of Plant Maintenance?
1). Preventive Maintenance
A system of scheduled, planned, or Preventive Maintenance tries to minimize the problems of breakdown maintenance.
- Rich in time procedure.
- Preventive Maintenance locates weak spots (such as bearing surfaces, parts under excessive vibrations, etc.) in all equipment, providing them with a regular inspection and minor repairs, reducing the danger of unanticipated breakdown.
- It involves; periodic inspection of equipment and machinery to prevent production breakdown and harmful depreciation.
- Upkeep of plant equipment to correct the fault.
Advantages of Preventive Maintenance
- Reduces breakdown and downtime.
- Lesser odd-time repairs.
- Greater safety for workers.
- Low maintenance and repair cost.
- Increased equipment life.
- Better product quality.
2). Breakdown Maintenance
Corrective or Breakdown Maintenance implies that repairs are made after the equipment is out of order and can no longer perform its normal function. For example, an Ex-electric motor will not start, a belt is broken, etc.
- Under such conditions, the production department calls on the maintenance department to rectify the defect. The maintenance department checks into the difficulty and makes the necessary repairs.
- After removing the fault, maintenance engineers do not attend to the equipment again until another failure or breakdown occurs.
- Breakdown maintenance is economical for that equipment whose downtime and repair costs are less.
Disadvantages of Breakdown maintenance
- Breakdown occurs at opportunity times, which leads to poor, hurried maintenance and excessive delays in production.
- Reduction of output.
- Increased chances of accidents and less safety for both workers and machines.
- Direct loss of profit.
- Breakdown maintenance cannot be employed on cranes, lifts, hoists, and pressure vessels.
3). Scheduled Maintenance
- It is a stitch-in-time procedure aimed at availing breakdowns.
- Generally followed for overhauling machines, cleaning water and other tanks, washing buildings, etc.
- Schedule maintenance practice incorporates inspection, lubrication, repair, and overhaul of specific equipment, resulting in breakdown if neglected.
4). Predictive Maintenance
- It is a newer maintenance technique.
- It uses human senses or other sensitive instruments such as audio gauges, vibration analyzers, amplitude meters, pressure, temperature, and resistance strain gauges to predict troubles before the equipment fails.
- The unusual sound from rotating equipment predicts trouble; an electric cable being excessively hot at one point indicates danger.
- In predictive maintenance, equipment conditions are measured periodically or continuously, which enables maintenance men to take timely action, such as equipment adjustments, repair, and overhaul.
- It extends the service life of the equipment.
What are the Plant Safety Rules and Procedures?
Plant Safety Rules, Procedures, Codes, and Standards are:
- To fix the safe standard to be followed.
- To measure the performance with such a rule of standard.
- Human behavior needs to be regulated by safety rules. Otherwise, it may cause more accidents.
- Rules and regulations for all employees can convey management’s safety policy.
- They are necessary for safe job performance, ordines and security.
- If the rule is fixed (enhanced or accepted), its breach can be easily shown to explain the duty or responsibility for its observance.
- Disciplinary action is possible for violation of rules.
- Following up with rules increases and maintains good discipline.
- Even if the rules are enforced, their need is permanent and cannot be declined.
Safety rules are a good foundation for training. Therefore, there is a strong need for safety rules that may be statutory or non-statutory.
What is the objective of Plant Safety?
- Minimum breakdown and to keep the plant in good working condition at the lowest possible cost.
- Stay the m/c in such a condition that it permits use without interruption.
- Increase functional reliability of production facilities.
- Maximize the useful life of the equipment.
- Optimize the frequency of disruption to production by reducing breakdown.
- Enhance the safety of the workforce.
Why Trust TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification for Plant Safety Services?
Whether statutory regulations or your internal procedures and processes, the TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification can help ensure that your organization’s people comply. We provide various services – including audits and inspections – to help you run a safe plant. For example, our inspectors can assess risks in the factory and help you put plans into action to eliminate or minimize safety-related issues that could occur.
A vast range of Plant Safety Services includes:
- Process and Plant Safety Audits.
- Fire Protection.
- Equipment Safety.
- Environment Protection.
- Explosion Protection.
- Pressure Equipment.
- Steam Boilers.
- Pressure Vessels.
- Storage Tanks, Pipelines, Steel Pipes, Valves, Pumps, etc.
In addition, to Plant Safety Services, we also offer a range of complimentary services:
- Third-Party Inspection
- Pre-Shipment Inspection
- QA/QC Services
- Lifting Equipment Inspection
- Technical Staffing Services
- Construction Supervision Services
- Technical Manpower Supply Services
- Non-Destructive Testing Services
- Mechanical Testing Services
- Risk-Based Inspection
- Pressure Equipment Directive Certification
- Pressure Vessel Inspection
- Storage Tank Inspection
- Steam Boiler Inspection
- Supplier Expediting Services
- Emission Testing Services
- Equipment Safety Services
- Vendor Audit Services
- Explosion Protection Services
- Fire Protection Services
- Communication Tower Inspections
- Asset Integrity Services
Would you mind sending an Enquiry so we can assist you?