ISO 22000: 2018 Food Safety Management System
It is a global standard to ensure safe food supply chains and provide a framework for international uniformity requirements.
What Does ISO 22000 mean?
A Food Safety Management System (FSMS) takes a systematic approach to ensure food safety. This FSMS accreditation relies upon defined international food safety standards for audits conducted by Food Safety Auditor. Since the food industry is expanding with time, consumers expect improvements in food quality, hygiene, and kitchen safety.
Food chains need to know in-depth what FSMS is and how it affects their business. If a food chain fails to maintain food safety requirements, it is unlikely to keep the customer’s trust. On the other hand, a Food Safety Management System certified organization portrays a positive image, and the consumers trust it for ensuing International Standard of food safety.
When we explore more about the Food Safety Management System definition, the results elucidate that it is much more than just controlling food hygiene. Every food business should follow an FSMS for managing Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP).
ISO 22000 is a food safety management system that can be applied to any organization in the food chain, farm to fork; becoming certified to ISO 22000 allows a company to show their customers that they have a food safety management system in place. It provides customer confidence in the product. The ISO 22000 International Standard specifies the requirements for a food safety management system that involves the following elements
- Interactive Communication
- System Management
- Prerequisite Programs
- HACCP Principles
Brief History of ISO 22000
ISO 22000 was first published in 2005 in response to
- Foodborne illnesses such as mad cow’s disease and numerous food fraud incidents
- Globalization of the food chain, creating uncertainty as to the origin of food products and ingredients.
- The food industry’s requirements to demonstrate that their systems are operating according to the applicable laws.
- ISO 22000: 2005 – Food Safety Management Systems – Requirements for any organization in the food chain.
- ISO/TS 22002-1: 2009 – Perquisites programs on food safety__ Part 1: Food Manufacturing
- ISO /TS 22002-3: 2011 – Prerequisite programs on food safety__ Part 3: Farming.
- ISO/TS 22004: 2014 – Food Safety Management System–Guidance on the application of ISO 22000
- ISO/TS 22003: 2013 – Food Safety Management System– Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of food safety management systems.
ISO 22000: 2005 Standard Vs ISO 22000: 2018 Standard
ISO 22000: 2005
- Management Responsibility
- Resource Management
- Planning and realization of safe products
- Validation, Verification, and improvement
ISO 22000: 2018
- Context of the organization
- Support (Inc. documentation)
- Performance Evaluation (Mgt. Review incl.)
Characteristics of ISO 22000
ISO 22000 specifies the characteristics of management system design to
- Carry out the Hazard Analysis
- Design the HACCP Plan
- Identify the prerequisite programs
- Select the operational prerequisite programs.
ISO 22000: 2018 Key Elements
- Interactive Communication
- System Management
- Prerequisite Programs
- HACCP Principles
What are the Advantages of the ISO 22000: 2018?
- Guarantee that the customer receives safe products through system planning and operation.
- Increase consumer satisfaction
- Show Compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements
- Contribute to safety across the entire food chain
- Show evidence of Compliance to stakeholders
- Obtain international recognition.
Main features of ISO 22000: 2018
- The high-level structure: to make life easier for businesses using more than one management system standard, ISO 22000: 2018 follows the same format as all the other ISO management system standards, the high-level structure (HLS).
- The risk-based approach: The standard includes a different system to understanding risk.
- Process-Based Approach.
The PDCA Cycle: The standard clarifies the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle by having two separate processes in the standard working together: one covering the management system and the other covering HACCP principles.
Clauses of ISO 22000: 2018
The high-level structure consists of 10 core clauses
- Normative References
- Terms & Definitions
- Context of the Organization
- Performance Evaluation of the food safety management system
ISO 22000 applies to all organizations in the food chain, and the 2018 version includes feed producers and animal food producers within the scope.
Context of the Organization
- External and internal issues relevant to the organization’s purpose.
- Needs and expectations of interested parties.
- More responsibilities for top management: demonstrate leadership and supporting other relevant management roles. Accountable for effectiveness (directing and staffing staff)
- Policy – Context, Continual Improvement
- Responsibilities & Authorities: Understood
- Risks and Opportunities: Define & Plan!
- Changes: Define & Plan!
- Externally developed elements
- Control of externally provided processes, products, and services
- Awareness concept strengthens
- Communication: Responsibility placed in an organization (who, what, when, how)
- Documented Information: Scope extended to all kinds of documents
- Risks & Opportunities taken into the account
- Traceability system effectiveness tested
- Hazard Control plan
- Significant FS Hazard / Elimination of Hazards
- Methodology for categorization
- Validation & Verification
- Calibration: Validation of software
- Monitoring and Measuring: what, when, who, how. Final Goal: Evaluate performance and effectiveness
- Internal Audits: Changes in the FSMS & results of monitoring and measurement taken into account for the audit program.
- Management Review: Inputs and Outputs added.
- Corrective Actions for any non-conformity.
- The requirement to determine if similar non-conformities could potentially occur (preventive action).
Why is This Certification Essential?
This certification is designed to incorporate all aspects of food safety in the food chain business. An organization holding Food Safety Management Certificate follows the standards which are ultimately for the greater good of both industry and consumers.
This certification provides food safety endorsing elements based on realistic parameters needed to ensure a standardized quality of security in the food industry. In addition, certified companies print logos on product packaging, which encourages customers to develop trust.
Food Safety Management Certificate not only endorses the safety measures taken by the industry but also confirms that the staff handling Food has been given training. Furthermore, every food industry is liable to provide proper Food Safety Management System Documentation to its team. Proper documentation allows them to keep a frequent check on the code of safety measures defined by the FSMS.
What are the Benefits of ISO 22000: 2018?
Since the production procedure of this FSMS is considered to be following proper food standards, the products are deemed to be safe and of premium quality. Hence products of such industries are more likely to be accepted around the globe.
- Gaining the confidence of consumers and then strengthening this trust can be easily achieved with ISO 22000:2018 certification. This confidence enables consumers to buy products confidently.
- The training sessions offer in-depth knowledge of possible food hazards, how to avoid them, and the reasons behind them. Detailed discussions with safety experts at the microscopic level are helpful in food quality assurance.
- This certification is necessary for food industries to operate and grow. A food industry not following this standard is restricted with various regulations and can be penalized if any poor standards are reported. Since increasing food safety naturally ensures reliability in food quality management, the industry delivers genuinely hygienic Food.
- Boost Staff performance and overall productivity
- Flesh out your company’s processes.
- Reduce waste and improve efficiency.
- Provide an improved customer experience.
- In a few, Tender Application ISO 22000 is mandatory.
What are the requirements of the ISO 22000: 2018 Food Safety Management System?
- To Plan, Implement, Maintain and update a Food Safety Management System That’s Aimed at providing safe products for the consumer.
- To comply with the necessary statutory and regulatory food safety requirements.
- To evaluate and assess customers’ needs and show that it conforms with the mutually agreed upon customer needs relating to food safety, which aims to improve customer satisfaction.
- To effectively communicate food safety issues to their suppliers, customers and relevant interested parties throughout the food supply chain.
- To make sure that the organization complies with its stated food safety policy and effectively shows this.
- To seek certification or registration of its food safety management system by an external organization, or make a self-assessment or self-declaration of conformity to ISO 22000.
How to Implement the Requirements of ISO 22000: 2018 In My Organization?
As a minimum, you should familiarize yourself with the food safety requirements of this certification. ISO 22000:2018 and guidance standard ISO 22004 will help you understand your organization’s activities and processes clearly and appropriately interpret the international food safety requirements. Then, implement the conditions in the various activities and operations.
Steps in Implementing ISO 22000: 2018
These are the following steps for implementing ISO 22000: 2018
- Normative of the food safety team
- Setting up prerequisite programs
- Development of the HACCP Plan
- Training, Awareness generation, and implementation
- Internal FSMS Audit
- Management Review
ISO 22000 & HACCP
ISO 22000 mirrors the principles of the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) system. Analyzing potential hazards is a critical element of maintaining a successful Food Safety Management System as it provides effective measures of control over them.
It requires an organization to assume that any reasonable hazard is expected to occur, whether associated with the organization’s equipment or procedures, and is therefore identified and evaluated.
ISO 22000: 2018 In Pakistan and Food Safety Concerns
Food safety in Pakistan is a growing concern and affecting the eatery businesses. Pakistani consumers, both upper-middle class and middle class, are now educating themselves and their children to eat healthily & hygienically prepared Food to avoid foodborne illness.
Because 70% of the most common illnesses are foodborne, Food Authorities are becoming very strict but are proposing stringent legislation to curb harmful practices in the food processing industry. It leads to heavy fines or closure for eatery businesses that fail to comply with Pakistan’s basic food safety and kitchen hygiene practices. As a result, the situation becomes dire for restaurants with hampered brand image and financial losses.
It has come to their rescue. Eatery business owners now have realized that to address all the problems facing them, they have to implement proper FSMS systems. It is the right international accreditation that solves all their problems.
A restaurant having proper implantation of this does not have to worry about food authorities knocking on their doors or growing customer concerns. From farm to the fork, this FSMS guarantees high standards of Food and kitchen safety are established in restaurants and food processing plants.
Why Choose TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification For Implementing ISO 22000 Requirements
Some of the leading international accreditation bodies have awarded TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification with the accreditation to offer certification to a vast range of industry sectors. For certification services, TUV Austria BIC is the preferred brand across multiple industry sectors.
Local Regulatory authorities like The Pakistan National Accreditation Council (PNAC), The Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC) also recognizes TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification as a leading certification and inspection body in Pakistan. TUV Austria BIC has earned global respect instead of its approach and service quality through its highly trained and experienced Consultants. Our professional auditors work with clients to guarantee that the requirements are successfully maintained and continuously improved to be up to customers’ expectations and the law.
In addition, to ISO 22000: 2018 audits we also offer a range of complimentary services:
- ISO 9001: 2015 Quality Management System
- HACCP Food Safety Management System
- ISO 28000: 2007 Supply Chain Security Management System
- Process improvement solutions
How Much Does It Cost to Implement?
It is almost impossible to calculate the cost before completing the risk assessment and the Statement of Applicability. The majority of expenses are related to developing procedures, getting them up and running, raising team member awareness and training of employees, certification, etc. The costs also depend on the size of the organization.
What Is a Critical Limit?
A critical limit is the lowest or highest limit point of control measures at Critical Control Point to identify and abolish possible hazards up to defined standards. The primary purpose of a critical limit is to differentiate between safe production and unsafe production.
The critical limits defined must comply with these standards. In addition, the limitations must be justifiable with verifiable information for validation.
Which Organizations Can Implement ISO 22000: 2018?
Organizations in the food supply chain involved with:
• Food manufacturing
• Food Transportation
• Food Packaging
• Food Selling (retail or wholesale)
• Serving prepared Food (restaurants, grocery stores)
• Food equipment production
What Is the Validity Period?
Upon completing the ISO documentation audit and ISO Implementation audit, the certification body issues the certificate for three years.
What Are the New Changes?
The FMS system was recently revised in June 2018 by International Organization for Standardization (ISO). The changes in ISO 22000:2018 deal with new hazards in food safety.
Can I Get ISO 22000 Independent of ISO 9001?
Yes, you can get this.
Would you mind sending an Enquiry so we can assist you in getting certified?Send Enquiry